Recents in Beach

THE SUNNE RISING BY JOHN DONNE

 PARAPHRASE

Stanza 1. Busy, foolish and rebellious sun, why do you send your morning rays through windows, and curtains to the bed of lovers? Do you thing that lovers should adjust their seasons according to your movements? You impudent, vain wretch,(you have no business with the lovers). Go and rebuke school boys who are late for their school, and peevish apprentices or go and inform the courtier-hunters that the king would go for hunting this morning or tell the ants in the country to move out and collect grains in the fields. Love, being the same at all times, is above seasons and climates. It knows no hour, days and months which are just particles of eternity.


Stanza 2. Why should you regard your rays as so strong and sacred? I can extinguish the brilliance of your rays if I like by just winking at you; but I don not want to wink, because I don't want to lose sight of my beloved even for the short duration of a wink. If the brilliance of my beloved's eyes has not dazzled you, call again tomorrow and tell me whether both the East and the West Indies, which are noted for their spices and mines respectively, be there where you left them. You will be surprised to find both these Indies in my bed chamber,(because my sweet-heart is both spice and gold mine to me). If your want to see tomorrow all the kings whom you saw you would find them lying in our bed ( because I and my sweet-heart represent all the kings of the world).


Stanza 3. My sweet-heart is all the states of the world rolled into one and I am all the princes of the world rolled into one. There are no states and princes except those ones mentioned by me. Princes of the world only play our roles when they act like princes. Compared to our state all honour is nothing but imitation and all wealth only a pursuit to transmute base metals into gold. Even you, O sun, are only half ans happy, as we two lovers are, because in or case all the beauties and joys of the world have been contracted into one bed-room. Your old age requires you to take rest. Since it is your duty to warm the world, you can warm it by warming us (because the whole world is represented by us). Just shine on us too, and it would be as if you were shining over the whole world. Our bed would be just a center and the walls or our bed-chamber the sphere within which you will revolve.


Post a Comment

0 Comments